Date: Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 5:33 PM
Subject: objection to the proposed widening on merrimon rd in N Asheville
The current NCDOT plan requires lengthy study and input from all interested parties; especially those of us who live here. We do not want nor need to clone Hendersonville Rd; widening the rd 36% with 2′ meager bike lines. It is well documented that the wider a road the faster the drivers, the proposed 40 mph limit and the wider rd will encourage drivers to go 50-55. Imagine what the sidewalk will feel like with cars traveling beside you at this speed. All trees will be removed and forbidden.
- Failing to observe policy and procedure of NCDOT
- No consideration of local context and plans
- Failing to demonstrate needs; the traffic count of 2000 exactly same as last traffic count of 2016, 21000 cars.
- Designing a plan DANGEROUS to non motorized users
- Failing to present alternative proven designs such as a ‘road diet’ or ‘complete street’