Please accept my comments below for the proposed Merrimon Avenue project:
- I support turn lanes at Weaver and Edgewood, with the following caveats…
- Do not create a 5 lane road with a continuous center turn lane. These result in increased pedestrian fatalities.
- Consider instead having a divided four lane similar to Broadway with turn lanes only at Edgewood and Weaver
- Consider traffic circles to eliminate stoplights and allow shoppers to easily switch directions to reach businesses on the other side of the road
- Put a dedicated bicycle climbing lane on the east side of Merrimon from Murdock to Gracelyn and on the west side from Weaver to Coleman
- Connect the Reed Creek greenway on each side of Merrimon so that greenway traffic does not have to cross Merrimon. This should be done along the creek thru an expanded box culvert
- There should be wide sidewalks on both sides of Merrimon, running the entire length of the project