Summer Cycle 2020 – COVID-19 Edition is Set for Saturday, June 27th
During the last few months people have pulled their bikes out of the basement and garages to enjoy the outdoors during quarantine. Asheville on Bikes (AoB) has not been able to hold our community rides because of the number of people that gather and the risk of being exposed to the coronavirus.
We have a fix for that! Scavenger Hunt!
Pre-Register, Then Join Us:
Summer Cycle ’20
9 AM start, Saturday, June 27, 2020
Socially Distanced Scavenger Hunt Ride
Individuals or teams must ride their bikes and take photos at checkpoints throughout the day. When participants are finished then send an email at the last checkpoint with a link to the social media account with their photos.
There are prizes! Your legend awaits!
This free event is open to the public. Pre-registration is required, but is free and easy. Link to Summer Cycle COVID-19 Edition registration form.
This event is scaled to appeal to a variety of riders:
- Rough & Rowdy – Prepared for a long day (anywhere between 20 to 40miles of riding) on all kinds of roads & equipped with cycling routing knowledge. Participants create their own route.
- City Centric – Prepared for urban riding (between 5 & 10miles). Participants create their own route.
- Covid Cruisers – Chill, flat ride mostly along the French Broad River. If you’re just getting back on a bike, this option is for you. COVID Cruisers will receive a route map via our Ride With GPS Membership Account.
This is a ride-at-your-own-risk event. All participants need to recognize that Asheville lacks connected dedicated bicycle facilities and participants will be riding on our City’s roads, in traffic. This event is unlike other AoB rides in that we are not providing route finding signage, pedal patrol, or any on route support.
What: Summer Cycle COVID-19 Edition: Scavenger Hunt
When: Saturday June 27th, 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Where: In and around Asheville
How it works:
- Event starts at 9:00am, Saturday June 27th.
- Individuals or teams must sign up in advance by filling out the registration form online by 5:00 Friday June 26th. When you register, you’ll select your ride option.
- We strongly encourage participants to make a donation but entry is free.
- There are no pre or post ride gatherings as part of this event.
- Participants will receive an e-mail Saturday morning June 27th with more instructions based on which route category you select. You will be getting an email from either:
Your email will include a link to Google Map with a list of your possible checkpoints. For the Rough and Rowdy and City Centric, participants can start the event from wherever they are located. After receiving the list of checkpoints, ride out and collect as many as you can before 3pm. You are welcome to make a day of it, just note the 3 PM cutoff for posting scavenged checkpoints. Covid Cruisers will receive a detailed map on Friday night to assist with route planning and logistics. It’s our way of rolling out the welcome map to you.
Please follow any State or local Coronavirus rules that are in effect at the time of the ride. Masks are currently required indoors in Buncombe County. There are no indoor checkpoints on this ride, but it is a good idea to have a mask with you just in case you need it.
Rules of Play:
- Limit participation to:
- Individual rider.
- Team of up to 4 (adhere to covid-19 protocols). Teams are required to stay together.
- Follow the Safe Habits of Riding
- We recommend you equip your bicycle w/ front and rear lights, water bottle & snacks, and supplies to change a flat tire. We’re your advocates, not your mamma. Be prepared.
- Activate your complimentary AOB Ride With GPS AoB Membership Account and record your route. Strava doesn’t count.
- Photograph yourself w/ teammate at checkpoints and post to Instagram and /or Facebook. Posts must be marked public, be hashtagged with #avlbike, and prove that you are in the place marked on the Scavenger hunt map. Please post during the event using images taken during the event; only photos posted before 3PM will be considered for prizes. Festive and flamboyant photos are encouraged.
- Make sure to hashtag with each photo post! #avlbike is the hashtag to use. You are also welcome to tag AoB and your friends, of course! (@ashevillonbikes – Instagram, @avlonbikes – facebook).
Prizes & Punishments
- Spot an AoB pedal fairy along the route and snap a picture of them for extra goodies at one of the non-negotiable stops. A pedal fairy is a person riding a bike in a costume that includes wings.
- Prizes awarded for Most Checkpoints visited in the least amount of time, Most Climbing per ride, proven with a Ride with GPS ride link (not Strava), Best costume, Most interesting photograph, and the Best Song & Dance Number (must be posted to instagram and tagged w/ AoB), Most interesting route as proven by RWGPS ride link.
- Opting out of an AoB event is it’s own cruel consequence.
REGISTER IN ADVANCE. Here’s the registration form! Please register before 5 PM on Friday, 6/26.
Individuals or teams must ride their bikes and take photos at checkpoints throughout the day. When participants are finished or at 3 PM, whichever comes first, please send an email to AoB, based on one of the 3 maps you chose to scavenge:
IN YOUR EMAIL, LINK TO THE SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNT WHERE YOU WERE POSTING. Just to be sure!
Costumes are customary as usual!
Photos from previous Summer Cycle events (note the smiles and fun had by all!)