On October 10th Asheville’s City Council will vote to either affirm the College Patton project or halt the project. This vote is critical and your feedback is important. You can take two actions to help make it clear to all members of council that there is broad public support for this project:
- Email City Council and tell your story about how this project helps you. You have two good ways to email council.
- Email the all-council email address and CC: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use Mountain True’s advocacy form specific to this project to submit your comment to council through Mountain True.
- Show up in person at the Council meeting on October 10th and make a public comment in favor of this project and similar future projects. You would sign up to speak when you check in at the beginning of the meeting and then would have 3 minutes to tell your story. You can watch past council meetings on Youtube to see how these in person public comments work.
- Show up Tuesday, October 10, 2023 – 5:00 p.m. Council Chamber – City Hall – 70 Court Plaza
- City Council agenda and public comment rules
We’ve written and spoken extensively about this project and why it is important to downtown, to the City, and to the region. These changes create “Bike Plus” lanes, safer pedestrian crossings, increased loading zones, and other important changes in the heart of downtown. These changes allow more room for people biking, ebiking, wheel-chair-using, and walking in downtown while maintaining appropriate throughput for cars. This plan is backed by public feedback and that feedback has been incorporated into the proposed design.
These changes are also part of a larger system of planned changes that will re-connect downtown to surrounding neighborhoods via other “bike plus” lanes and sidewalks, as well as better connect downtown to RADTIP and the future Greenway network. Getting this in place now is important.
You can read more about the project in several places:
- The City of Asheville project page
- Mountain True’s call to action about the College Patton project
- Our collection of public Letters of Support
- Our project page with all the details about the benefits of the project
- Our past blog posts about the project