Listen in as Mike Sule interviews Michael Stratton and Lisabeth Medlock about their recent proposal describing commerce zones and network of low speed streets for Asheville. We published the pdf version of their work here and you can download your own copy to zoom in on.
List of resources mentioned or shown during this interview:
- Download the plan that is being discussed in the interview, as pdf.
- More about Asheville’s Multi-Modal Transportation Commission
- Streetmix, a tool for creating before and after cross sections of streets
- Lisabeth Medlock’s survey results about people using downtown Asheville during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Asheville City Council meeting 5/26 re: Budget Crunch from COVID-19 consequences
- Nationwide bicycle riding and bike sales, both up sharply
- Oakland’s slow street network, 74+ miles, calmed by citizens without much City work
- The City of Asheville public feedback portal for re-allocating public space
- The NACTO Crisis Response Guide
- The Street Plans Tactical Urbanism materials guide, showing temporary materials
You may also enjoy this curated playlist of videos about cities who are using the public right of way differently as part of their COVID-19 response.
Please leave your feedback in the comments below.
- Released: Asheville MMTC members COVID-19 Streets Proposal
- Youtube playlist: Cities Creating Space in Response to COVID-19