Good morning! 3/20/21 @ 9AM!
What you must do:
- Ride a route to collect checkpoints and bonus points
- Follow the event rules. Teams must stay together (at safe social distances) during the ride.
- Document your ride with RWGPS and photos, using a cell phone
- Submit your documentation via an email, before the submission deadline
- Have fun!
Capture as many checkpoints as you can by 4pm and submit your route w/ pictures to AoB via the email that corresponds to your adventure type.
Deadline for riding this event: 4 PM
Deadline for submitting your route and images: 6pm
Your end of day team email should include:
- Your Team Name
- List of team member names
- Disclose if you or your team used an ebike.
- Link to the social media account used to document your team adventure.
- Link to your team’s Ride With GPS (RWGPS) route w/ embedded pictures. Make it public.
Send your email to the appropriate email address for the map you used:
- Consider printing a copy of the map and/or making a list of the checkpoints because internet connectivity could be compromised by your location on the route and it’s cumbersome to switch between Ride With GPS (RWGPS) and Google Maps. A hard copy of the checkpoints is the way to go.
- Ride with a charged device to record your Ride With GPS route. An auxiliary charging source is a good idea.
- Designate one person on your team to command Ride With GPS and take your checkpoint pics with his/her/their phone so that the pic files upload to the RWGPS route. When riding with RWGPS charting your course, any picture you take with your phone’s camera will be appended to your ride. You will see the list of photos at the end when you click “finish ride” in RWGPS and, at that moment, you do want all your photos from the day to be included on your route! During the event, all you must do with RWGPS is track your ride (leave RWGPS running until the end) while switching to the camera to take pictures as needed. If you use one phone for RWGPS and social sharing, you will end up with your pics correctly appended to your route and shared on social media.
- Also share your photos to Instagram and Facebook. Tag @ashevilleonbikes in all pics and hashtag #avlbike. Note that if you take pics and share on social by using a 2nd phone, other than the RWGPS phone (as will be tempting if you designate a 2nd team member to handle the social sharing duties), you won’t have pictures associated with the RWGPS route when you finish.
- Take social distanced pictures with the rainbow connector bike fairies you encounter on your adventure, post pics to social media, and tag @ashevilleonbikes for bonus points. 1 point / fairy / team.
- Earn bonus points by capturing pics of the following and posting them to your social media platform. Tag Asheville on Bikes and hashtag #avlbike for each pic. One submission/bonus point.
- Ride with front and rear lights and adhere to safe riding habits.
Bonus Points – Snag a pic of each of the following with your team. 1 point / bonus.
- a green i9 product
- a greenway trailhead sign
- green bicycle infrastructure
- an obstruction in a bike lane
- an illegally parked car
- a flower bud
- a Mosaic Community Lifestyle Realty sign
- a green bicycle
- your team under a rainbow
- an actual rainbow
- a 4-leaf clover
- pedaling in plaid
- a JAG house under construction
- Rainbow Connector /Fairy on a bike
- A Bicycle Friendly Business designated by the League of American Bicyclists
Categories for prizes are:
- Most points in the least amount of time (this includes checkpoints and bonus points)
- Best Costume
- Most Creative Photograph
- Best Team Name
- Most Interesting Route
What you can win:
- Bragging rights and a variety of locally donated Gift Certificates and Swag from several of our checkpoint partners. We will publish a list of winners here within a week.
Thank you for participating.
Asheville on Bikes is in it to win it and it is our pleasure to put our organization to work for some fun and adventure! When you show, we grow, whether it’s chasing checkpoints, hounding City staff about a road diet, or taking public positions on road projects that can be built differently to make all your rides safer. Together we roll forward.