Good morning and Happy Halloween! 10/31/2020 9 AM. This is the Event Packet info drop!
Below are the links to the checkpoint maps for each of Pumpkin Pedaller adventures.
- Rough & Rowdy check point map
- City Centric check point map
- Cruiser check point map and a RWGPS Route just for the Cruisers
“Trick or Treat” checkpoints are mandatory and designated in orange on the maps.
PDF version of just the checkpoint lists, maps, and bonuses available. You can use the pdf files for download to your cell phone or printing.
What you must do:
- Ride your own route to collect checkpoints and bonus points
- Follow the event rules. Teams must stay together during the ride.
- Document your ride with RWGPS and photos, using a cell phone
- Submit your documentation via an email, before the submission deadline
- Have fun!
Capture as many checkpoints as you can and submit your route w/ pictures to AoB via the email that corresponds to your adventure type.
- Ride start for this event: 11 AM – 4 PM
- Deadline for ride completion: 4 PM
- Deadline for submitting your route and images: 6 PM
Your end of day team email should include:
- Your Team Name
- List of team member names
- Disclose if you or your team used an ebike.
- Link to the social media account used to document your team adventure.
- Link to your team’s Ride With GPS (RWGPS) route w/ embedded pictures. Make it public.
Send your email to the appropriate email address for the map you used:
- Consider printing a copy of the map and / or making a list of the checkpoints because internet connectivity could be compromised by your location on the route and it’s cumbersome to switch between Ride With GPS (RWGPS) and Google Maps. A hard copy of the checkpoints is the way to go, as a backup.
- Ride with a charged device to record your Ride With GPS route. An auxiliary charging source is a good idea.
- Designate one person on your team to command Ride With GPS and take your checkpoint pics with his/her/their phone so that the pic files upload to the RWGPS route. When riding with RWGPS charting your course, any picture you take with your phone’s camera will be appended to your ride. You will see the list of photos at the end when you click “finish ride” in RWGPS and, at that moment, you do want all your photos from the day to be included on your route! During the event, all you must do with RWGPS is track your ride (leave RWGPS running until the end) while switching to the camera to take pictures as needed. If you use one phone for RWGPS and social sharing, you will end up with your pics correctly appended to your route and shared on social media.
- Also share your photos to Instagram and Facebook. Tag Asheville on Bikes in all pics and hashtag #avlbike. Note that if you take pics and share on social by using a 2nd phone, other than the RWGPS phone (as will be tempting if you designate a 2nd team member to handle the social sharing duties), you won’t have pictures associated with the RWGPS route when you finish.
- Take pictures during your adventure and post pics to social media, and tag Asheville on Bikes.
- Ride with front and rear lights and adhere to safe riding habits.
Abstract Checkpoints / Bonus Points Available, For All 3 Routes:
- a pumpkin spice what-have-you
- i9 product
- a masked wedding party
- a superhero
- a JAG house adorned w/ Halloween decorations
- witch on a bike
- a black cat
- spider web
- orange helmet clad cyclists
- a faceless carved pumpkin
- a puddle on the greenway or protected bike lane
- a scarecrow
- a tour de fat carny cranking tunes
What you can win:
- Bragging rights. We will publish a list of winners here within a week.
Thank you for participating.
Asheville on Bikes is in it to win it and it is our pleasure to put our organization to work for some fun and adventure! When you show, we grow, whether it’s chasing checkpoints, hounding City staff about a road diet, or taking public positions on road projects that can be built differently to make all your rides safer.